Author
Historical and old photos of Vitebsk, Vitebsk Region

(all photos for free use)

Coat of arms of Vitebsk

Main page • Countries of Europa • Cities of Belarus

Historical and old photos of Vitebsk, Vitebsk Region

1 page • 2 page3 page

A small historical reference

Geography: Vitebsk is a city in Belarus. The capital of the Vitebsk Region, is fourth-largest city. It is served by Vitebsk Vostochny Airport and Vitebsk Air Base.

Date of foundation: 947

History:

Population: 366 299

Sights:

Vitebsk. Alekseevskaya girls gymnasium, early 20th century
Alekseevskaya girls gymnasium, early 20th century
Vitebsk. Assumption Cathedral, 1867
Assumption Cathedral, 1867
Vitebsk. Assumption Cathedral, 1912
Assumption Cathedral, 1912
Vitebsk. Assumption Cathedral, circa 1915
Assumption Cathedral, circa 1915
Vitebsk. Assumption Cathedral, Pushkin Bridge, 1910
Assumption Cathedral, Pushkin Bridge, 1910
Vitebsk. Bridge over the Dvina river, pier, circa 1915
Bridge over the Dvina river, pier, circa 1915
Vitebsk. Bridge over the Vitba river, circa 1915
Bridge over the Vitba river, circa 1915
Vitebsk. Bridge over the Vitba river, circa 1915
Bridge over the Vitba river, circa 1915
Vitebsk. Building of the State Bank on Castle Street, circa 1910
Building of the State Bank on Castle Street, circa 1910
Vitebsk. Castle street, circa 1915
Castle street, circa 1915
Vitebsk. Castle street, circa 1915
Castle street, circa 1915
Vitebsk. Castle street, circa 1915
Castle street, circa 1915
Vitebsk. Castle street and cathedral, circa 1915
Castle street and cathedral, circa 1915
Vitebsk. Cathedral Square, St Michael's Cathedral, circa 1915
Cathedral Square, St Michael's Cathedral, circa 1915
Vitebsk. Catholic church of St Anthony of Padua, circa 1895
Catholic church of St Anthony of Padua, circa 1895
Vitebsk. Catholic church of St Anthony of Padua, circa 1915
Catholic church of St Anthony of Padua, circa 1915
Vitebsk. Church of the Nativity, circa 1900
Church of the Nativity, circa 1900
Vitebsk. Circuit court, circa 1900
Circuit court, circa 1900
Vitebsk. Delivery of a steam locomotive
Delivery of a steam locomotive to the railway under construction Orel - Vitebsk, 1867
Vitebsk. Dvinsky bridge, end of 19th century
Dvinsky bridge, end of 19th century
Vitebsk. Embankment, Epiphany Church
Embankment, Epiphany Church, Nikolskaya Street, Lutheran Church, pier, circa 1915
Vitebsk. First tram in Vitebsk, Castle street, 1898
First tram in Vitebsk, Castle street, 1898
Vitebsk. General view of the eastern part of the city, 1912
General view of the eastern part of the city, 1912
Vitebsk. General view of the southern part of the city, 1912
General view of the southern part of the city, 1912
Vitebsk. Gogolevskaya street
Gogolevskaya street
Vitebsk. Governor's Boulevard, fountain, early 20th century
Governor's Boulevard, fountain, early 20th century
Vitebsk. Governor's House, circa 1900
Governor's House, circa 1900
Vitebsk. Governor's House, circa 1915
Governor's House, circa 1915
Vitebsk. Hotel 'Bristol', circa 1915
Hotel 'Bristol', circa 1915
Vitebsk. Hotel 'Brozi', circa 1890
Hotel 'Brozi', circa 1890
Vitebsk. Hotel 'Brozi', circa 1915
Hotel 'Brozi', circa 1915
Vitebsk. Kanatnaya (Cable) street, circa 1915
Kanatnaya (Cable) street, circa 1915
1 page • 2 page3 page

History

Before 1945

Vitebsk developed from a river harbor where the Vićba River (Віцьба, from which it derives its name) flows into the larger Western Dvina, which is spanned in the city by the Kirov Bridge.

Archaeological research indicates that Baltic tribes had settlements at the mouth of Vitba. In the 9th century, Slavic settlements of the tribal union of the Krivichs replaced them. According to the Chronicle of Michael Brigandine (1760), Princess Olga of Kiev founded Vitebsk (also recorded as Dbesk, Vidbesk, Videbsk, Vitepesk, or Vicibesk) in 974. Other versions give 947 or 914. Academician Boris Rybakov and historian Leonid Alekseyev have come to the conclusion, based on the chronicles, that Princess Olga of Kiev could have established Vitebsk in 947. Leonid Alekseyev suggested that the chroniclers, when transferring the date from the account of the Byzantine era (since the creation of the world) to a new era, obtained the year 947, later mistakenly written in copying manuscripts as 974. An important place on trade route from the Varangians to the Greeks, Vitebsk became by the end of the 12th century a center of trade and commerce, and the center of an independent principality, following Polotsk, and at times, Smolensk and Kiev princes.

The official year of the founding of Vitebsk is 974, based on an anachronistic legend of founding by Olga of Kiev, but the first mention in historical records dates from 1021, when Yaroslav the Wise of Kiev gave it to Bryachislav Izyaslavich, Prince of Polotsk.

In the 12th and 13th centuries Vitebsk functioned as the capital of the Principality of Vitebsk, an appanage principality which thrived at the crossroads of the river routes between the Baltic and Black seas. In 1320 the city was incorporated into the Grand Duchy of Lithuania as dowry of the Princess Maria, the first wife of Grand Duke of Lithuania Algirdas. By 1351 the city had erected a stone Upper and Lower Castle, the prince's palace. In 1410 Vitebsk participated in the Battle of Grunwald. In 1597 the townsfolk of Vitebsk were privileged with Magdeburg rights. However, the rights were taken away in 1623 after the citizens revolted against the imposed Union of Brest and killed Archbishop Josaphat Kuntsevych of Polotsk. The city was almost completely destroyed in 1708, during the Great Northern War. In the First Partition of Poland in 1772, the Russian Empire annexed Vitebsk.

Under the Russian Empire the historic centre of Vitebsk was rebuilt in the Neoclassical style.

Before World War II Vitebsk had a significant Jewish population: according to Russian census of 1897, out of the total population of 65,900, Jews constituted 34,400 (around 52% percent). The most famous of its Jewish natives was the painter Marc Chagall (1887-1985).

In 1919 Vitebsk was proclaimed to be part of the Socialist Soviet Republic of Byelorussia (January to February 1919), but was soon transferred to the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic and later to the short-lived Lithuanian–Byelorussian Soviet Socialist Republic (February to July 1919). In 1924 it was returned to the Byelorussian Soviet Socialist Republic.

During World War II the city came under Nazi German occupation (11 July 1941 – 26 June 1944). Much of the old city was destroyed in the ensuing battles between the Germans and Red Army soldiers. Most of the local Jews perished in the Vitebsk Ghetto massacre of October 1941.

Post-war period

In the first postwar five-year period the city was rebuilt. Its industrial complex covered machinery, light industry, and machine tools.

In 1959 a TV tower was commissioned and started broadcasting the 1st Central Television program. In the same year, during excavations on Liberation Square, a birch-bark scroll was found dating from the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries. It read:

From Stpana to Nezhilovi. Also, if hast sold trousers, buy me rye for 6 hryvnia. And if some didst not sold, send to my person. And if thou hast sold, do good to buy rye for me

Independence of Belarus

In January 1991 Vitebsk celebrated the first Marc Chagall Festival. In June 1992, a monument to Chagall was erected on his native Pokrovskaja Street and a memorial inscription was placed on the wall of his house.

Since 1992 Vitebsk has been hosting the annual Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk, an international art festival. The main participants are artists from Russia, Belarus and Ukraine, with guests from many other countries, both Slavic and non-Slavic. In 1999 a free economic zone "Vitebsk" was established. The city built the Ice Sports Palace, and there was a remarkable improvement and expansion in the city. The central stadium was reconstructed and the Summer Amphitheatre for the international art festival, the Slavic Bazaar, the railway station and other historical sites and facilities were restored, and a number of new churches and other public facilities were built, together with the construction of new residential areas.

Origin: en.wikipedia.org




Photos posted on the website in accordance with Article 7, paragraph 1 of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works of 9 September 1886, the term of protection which is fifty years after the author's death.

After this period photos it becomes public domain. The participants of the Berne Convention are 167 States.


Robinson Rd, CB 13862 Nassau, NP, The Bahamas
Flag Counter